Steps in the Federal Resume Writing Process
- Briefing Review from the Federal Career Consultant. First your Federal Resume Writer will obtain a briefing from your Federal Career Consultant about your federal job objectives, occupational series, specific vacancy announcement, and grade level. They will also review details about your objectives, challenges and past experiences.
- Keywords. The Writer will analyze a target vacancy announcement for keywords. We will search for 7 to 10 keywords and phrases that are critical for the success of the resume. This keyword list will be given to you for review and consideration. This is basically your “branding” for this position, and possibly others. The keywords will be featured in your federal resume in our popular and successful Outline Format.
- Document Review. Then you will provide any documents that you have that can help build the content for your federal resume, such as past resumes, performance evaluations, position descriptions, and awards.
- Accomplishment Coaching and Discovery. Next, the Writer will talk to you about your accomplishments. The Writer will coach you in identifying 1 to 5 accomplishments, including the challenges and the results of each. Write your Accomplishment Stories with our free CCAR Accomplishment Builder!
- Relevant Experience. The Writer will talk to you about your relevant experience and skills. You’ll be briefed on what’s required for the resume to be Best Qualified.
- Writing Begins! Your Certified Federal Resume Writer then gets busy with expert, marketable and impressive professional writing about YOU and your career accomplishments! You will receive at least two proofs of the resume, with the opportunity each time to review it and make changes. The focus of the federal resume is the last 10 years of your career and a secondary focus on the previous 10 years.
Federal Resume Output
The average federal resume length is 4 or 5 pages. You’ll receive a paper-formatted resume that will be useful for either uploading into USAJOBS or copying and pasting into the Resume Builder. It will be your choice. Our federal resume will include all of the compliance details as required in the USAJOBS builder.
Federal Resume Production Timing
Your Federal Resume Writer will give you a schedule for the completion of the resume. We will also talk to you about the new content and make sure that you’re pleased with the language and direction of the new resume.
Testimonial from one of our valued clients:
Dear Kathryn/Resume Place:
Your resume and interview coaching worked too well!
After more than a year of trying to get a federal job while working as a contractor, I was not even getting referrals. Many of my coworkers weren’t, either. Others said it was who you know.
One of my students, a GS employee, referred me to The Resume Place, and now here I am in the position of turning down offers and second interviews for the choice of a GS11,12,13 with an agency I want to work for. I did not know a soul at any of these places!
It’s not who you know, but how your resume shows what you know and distinguishes you from the rest.
Thank you for all your help; my investment in The Resume Place was well worth the return! I can’t wait to use my skills to serve our USDA. Now I need to figure out how to withdraw all my referrals in USAJobs!
— Donna Morgan, Writer-Editor