Want a First-time Federal Job?
Want a Promotion in Government?
Ring in 2024
With Proven Federal Resume Writing Strategies
The US Federal Government is the Largest Employer in the U.S.
If you want to get a federal job or get promoted within the federal system,
your federal resume is everything.
Top tips for writing your federal resume in 2024:
- A maximum of five pages is being recommended more and more for federal resumes.
- Be sure to match your resume to the specialized experience section of the announcement.
- Add specific accomplishments to demonstrate your skills and show your value as an employee. Include results.
- Make sure you add month/year to month/year and hours per week for each job.
- Emphasize the work experience that is most relevant to the position, even if it does not come from your most recent jobs.
- Include your relevant volunteer positions as job blocks with month/year to month/year and hours per week. Get credit for those skills that match your target job.
- Make sure your resume clearly supports the answers in the questionnaire.
- Make sure your accomplishments stand out, identified by a bullet. Do not blend your accomplishments with your duties.
- Proofread and spellcheck carefully. Your resume is your first impression.
- Remember that a human HR person is reading your resume, not an automated system.
- Use Times New Roman font and 12-point type, as required by the Plain Language act of 2010.
3 Bonus Tips:
- The HR Specialist who is reading your resume will not INFER any information. It must be written clearly in your resume.
- I recommend a separate TECHNICAL SKILLS section in your resume to summarize your computer, database, research, and technical skills.
- Use the OUTLINE FORMAT federal resume, which features IMPORTANT TECHNICAL SKILLS in ALL CAPS in the narratives of your duties and accomplishments.
Want to see samples of these recommendations in a federal resume? Purchase the book, Federal Resume Guidebook, 7th Ed.
Federal Resume Guidebook, 7th Ed.
Want to have a Federal Resume Consultant review your resume and tell you what you need to change to improve your chances of getting Best Qualified for a federal job? Resume Place, Inc. provides excellent one-hour assessments during which we will compare your resume to a specific job announcement! AND we write federal resumes!
$210 one hour consultation
If you are an employment specialist or career counselor, you would like our Certified Federal Job Search Trainer® / Certified Federal Career Coach® program.
We teach our Ten Steps to a Federal Job® trainers and coaches on writing CCAR accomplishments for Federal Resume Writing, Interview Preparation and Annual Self-Assessments.